What We Do
Emotions drive action. For business metrics from recall to call-to-action motivation as well as persuasion, satisfaction and loyalty, gaining emotional traction determines the outcome. How can it be otherwise given that the older, more densely wired emotional part of the brain sends 10x more data to the rational brain than vice versa?
Other research firms might claim allegiance to System 1 intuitive, sensory-emotive input, but we practice it. People don't think their feelings; they feel them. So at Sensory Logic we bypass self-reported, cognitively filtered input by going straight to how people most naturally reflect and communicate their emotions: the face.
For 16 years now, we've been both the pioneer and the most careful commercial practitioner of applying facial coding as a research tool to help clients lower risks and optimize marketing, products and other business solutions. Facial coding enables us to scientifically yet non-invasively capture, quantify and analyze the emotions shown by consumers, executives, politicians, professional athletes, witnesses and others.
The primary application of our facial coding services is market research. Sensory Logic works an an independent vendor or as an add-on to your established vendor of choice in a variety of formats:
- Focus Groups - Capture participants' responses through streamed video facially coded in real time with day-of feedback, through on-site observational coding or through the review of video from cameras sent to test sites. There's no need to change moderators or alter the discussion guide.
- Individual Interviews - Sensory Logicians conduct in-person interviews that typically involve stimuli, exposure, questions, ratings and probes. These interviews may also be conducted by other research firms, with Sensory Logic coding and analyzing the video files.
- Mobile - With their smart phones, participants can enact "selfie" videos that provide brief, in-the-moment reactions that facial coding wrings more value from.
- Experiential Audits - In stores, restaurants and other places where the consumer experience unfolds, trained coders can perform emotional audits of consumer reactions to environments, merchandising and customer service
- Online Surveys - Pre-programmed tests allow online market research participants to be emotionally analyzed via webcam.
Who We Are
Founded in 1998 because breakthroughs in brain science have confirmed the centrality of emotions in consumers' decision-making process, Sensory Logic is uniquely capable of going beyond initial exposure reads by linking verbal input to emoting during discussions related to messaging, brand equity and purchase intent. Based in Minneapolis, Sensory Logic ensures the best, hands-on delivery of actionable insights rooted in emotional data because of its intimate interdisciplinary knowledge of business, psychology and the art of communications.
The company's proprietary methodology both reflects and builds significantly on the Facial Action Coding System (FACS) of Dr. Paul Ekman and his colleague Wally Freisen. No other provider of facial coding offers output comparable to Sensory Logic's 12-part emotional index, complete with readings of micro-expressions, to ensure clients learn about and can address the subtle points of possible resistance that keep them from realizing their full revenue potential. Products and services offered by Sensory Logic, including but not limited to those illustrated or implemeneted in part or in whole herein, are germane to the following U.S. patents invented by company president Dan Hill and owned by Sensory Logic, Inc: U.S. 6,422,999, U.S. 6,453,194, U.S. 7,119,916, U.S. 7,246,081, U.S. 7,930,199, U.S. 8,235,725, U.S. 8,326,002, U.S. 8,600,100, U.S. 8,903,176, U.S. 8,929,616.
News + Announcements
Dan's Keynote Speeches
February 12, 2015
CASRO Digital Research Conference ; Nashville, TN
May 18-20, 2015
IIR Front End of Innovation 2015 ; Boston, MA
May 28, 2015
LIMRA Marketing and Research Conference ; Baltimore, MD
1509 Marshall Street NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413